Saturday, February 11, 2012

Take A Tour At Lake Lawn

If you have never seen an cemetery in the city of New Orleans, then today, come take a tour of this historic cemetery with me, this is where Mr. CC's parents are buried. The first time that I came here was back in 1985 when my MIL died and this type of cemetery was very new to me. Over the years, we try to visit as often as possible and it has really now grown on me. Both my MIL and FIL died before my daughters were born, so we always wanted them to visit the final resting place of their grandparents...oh how they would have loved them. Here is some info that I got from Lake Lawn's website that I thought would be interesting to you.

Beautiful Metairie Cemetery was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1991. It was given this honor in recognition of its stature as the burial place of many famous people and the home to breathtaking above ground family mausoleums, tombs and monuments. These magnificent memorials, made of marble, granite and brick, testify to the dignity and significance of all those who are buried there.


The grounds of Metairie Cemetery originally held a race track that was quite popular in its heyday. The oval outline of the Metairie Race Course, built in 1838, can still be seen in the cemetery today. But the ravages of the Civil War and Reconstruction caused the race track to falter and on May 25, 1872, the land was converted into a cemetery, owned by the Metairie Cemetery Association.

In 2003, Metairie Cemetery was named by Forbes.com as one of the ten best cemeteries due to its unique historical significance and beauty. At Lake Lawn Metairie, we have always taken great pride in the serenity and distinctive elegance of this very special place. This honor is a reflection of our deep commitment to preserve the memories of those entrusted to our care.

Metairie Cemetery is the final resting place of numerous famous and revered people, including nine governors of the state of Louisiana; seven mayors of New Orleans; and three Confederate generals—including P.G.T. Beauregard and Richard 'Dick' Taylor, son of U.S. President Zachary Taylor. Jefferson Davis, the only president of the Confederate States of America, was entombed here temporarily after his death in New Orleans in 1889. Louis Prima, the world-famous singer and entertainer, is also buried here.
                                          Blessings,
                                             Linda














                              Looking down a street of beautiful old
                              southern oaks from where my in-laws
                                                   rest.

You can enter my TARGET GIFT CARD GIVEAWAY HERE!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I love old cemeteries. Beautiful pictures and a beautiful day it looks like too!
XO Cindy

Katalina Jewelry said...

I'm fascinated by old cemeteries. Nice photo and history tour! Thanks for sharing.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

We visited a cemetery in New Orleans during our trip there a couple of years ago...it was so different than anything I had seen before and very interesting to learn about!

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

I often spend entire days in old cemetaries-my favorite places to photograph. This one is very beautiful and serene.

Lori said...

Really that stained glass! Wow, is this the one you can see from the highway. I always want to stop. I have been to the downtown one across from Commanders Palace restaurant in the Garden District.

Debbiedoos said...

LOVE! I love touring and photographing old cemeteries. You took some amazing photos Linda.

Erin said...

Such pretty pictures! My godmother is buried there and I love going to visit

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I wish when I lived in New Orleans and Metairie that I had visited the cemetery more. They are so unique and interesting. Good photos Linda! Thanks for the tour. hugs, Linda

Just Spiff It said...

I absolutely love visiting historic cemeteries. However, when I mention this to others - some have thought that I am weird. When we were in Paris I took over 250 photos at just ONE cemetery.
I love your post - and just discovered your blog today!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautiful photos Linda! Such a beautiful and peaceful place!

Pamela said...

We have driven by there before and it is beautiful!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

You are right..that cemetery is something everyone should see...Thank you for presenting these beautiful photos...May your in-laws ever so rest in peace among the beautiful canopy of the oaks..

Pam said...

Some of my favorite novels are set in New Orleans and often include mysterious and lovely descriptions of the cemeteries there. I always love to read those and imagine what they are like. Your photo tour put me there and I enjoyed it so much! Thank you.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I love cemeteries, especially old ones! Such beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing. Hope you had a grand weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Related Posts with Thumbnails