Saturday, April 26, 2014

Shop Talk with Artsy VaVa

  I wanted to do a regular series on my blog, something unique that hasn't been done before. I came up with an idea to feature small shops, that are located throughout the country. So, every Friday you can stop by and check out a new shop, and at the same time meet the owner. Some weeks, I will be sharing some wonderful vendors that set up at vintage style shows. I am hoping that this series will introduce you to some shops and shows, that you might not already know about, and better yet, they might be in driving distance for you, wouldn't that be nice? This week it gives me great pleasure to introduce you to Virginia from ARTSY VA VA! You might remember that back in October, Virginia and I got the chance to meet in person at the Country Living show in Atlanta. I am really looking forward to visiting with her again...maybe next time we can meet up at her booth...now that would be fun. After you finish shopping, you can click here to visit Virginia's blog.



Hi, I'm Virginia, a.k.a. Artsy VaVa.
When Linda started Shop Talk, I was mentally yelling at my computer, "pick me, pick me!" So, needless to say, when she asked me if I'd like to be featured at Shop Talk, I was more than thrilled.
Three years ago, before my daughter (the last child at home) started her senior year of high school, my husband kept telling me I needed to find something to do. I think he was afraid I would fall apart not having kids at home. I was teaching art at a private school but it was only one day a week. Then a friend mentioned that a room in her store was available and asked me if I wanted to rent it. So, I moved into the kitchen at Earth Mama's General Store.
Earth Mama's is located in Fayetteville, Georgia in a beautiful old house that was built in 1918. It has all the charm you would expect from an old Southern home.
When you enter the front door, you'll find a chair that I recently reupholstered sitting by the fireplace and a sign I painted above the mantel. I haven't had the heart to put a price on the chair yet...it was hard to recover and I'm a little attached!


Back in November, I moved out of the kitchen and into a larger room.




 Before I moved into Earth Mama's General Store,
I would have home shows to sell my painted furniture and other items I created. It has been nice to have a place to sell these items year round. I still have people ask me when I am going to do a home show and I just tell them that I have a show going on everyday...just not at home!
 I painted this table using milk paint. Did I mention that I am a retailer of products from The Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company?
It has been wonderful to have an outlet to sell me creations such as this banner...
and my upcycled jars...
 The decorator in me loves being able to create vignettes. I try to display  things the way I would in my own home. As much as I love making a sale, sometimes, I have to admit, that it's a little sad when something sells and it messes up my vignette!


One of my favorite things about being a part of Earth Mama's is that I get to teach classes. I teach art classes, craft classes, and teach people how to use milk paint. I write for a local magazine, Fayette Woman, and with them I host a quarterly Pinterest Party at Earth Mama's.
Earth Mama's General Store has been a true blessing in my life. The kids went off to college and I didn't fall apart! I don't know if that has anything to do with the store or with the new friendships I have made not only with the other vendors we refer to as "the mama's," but also with some great customers. I'm just happy that I became a part of this special place before there was a void that needed to be filled.
Thank you, Linda, for letting me share a little bit of Earth Mama's General Store with your readers.

 Pin It
Let's connect...
Facebook...Pinterest...Instagram
 
Linking up here...
Feathered Nest Friday
Flaunt It Friday
Swing Into Spring

13 comments:

Donna Wilkes said...

I never knew that Virginia was just a day trip away! I am so excited that I am planning a trip to visit her shop in person. She has such wonderful vignettes and her items are artfully displayed. Thanks for the intro, Linda.

Judy Pimperl said...

The banner is pretty!
I enjoyed your visit from artsyvava- I am now following her...we appear to have a lot in common.
judypimperl.blogspot.com

Rita C at Panoply said...

Thanks for the intro, Linda. Virginia, as dealers, we're hopeless when we create vignettes to sell and then get upset when they get messed up from...a sale! Trust me, I can relate! Nice story, thanks for sharing.
Rita C at Panoply

Pam Kessler said...

Yet another reason why I need to come down to Georgia for a visit!

Cheryl in Wisconsin said...

Fall apart? Virginia, I'd say you are thriving.

primrosesattic said...

It looks a perfect place to sell your wares. So lovely that it is set up like a house.
What a fab place.
Rosezeeta.

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Sweet shop, enjoyed the tour!!!
Blessings,
Cindy

Art and Sand said...

What fun shop and what a fun feature to look forward to each week.

thepaintedapron.com said...

What a fun place! I love her creative displays~how wonderful that she has been able to branch out so much selling milk paint and teaching classes
Jenna

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Linda,
Great feature shop today. I love that beautiful old home that she is in. Gorgeous displays.
Kris

Marsha said...

That must be fun to be able to do all that crafty painting and selling. Thanks for the fun post.
Marsha

D said...

My favorite kind of shop. I would love to take a trip and pay a visit to this sweet shop, and look at all that paint! Lovely indeed!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

The shop looks like so much fun. What a perfect location for Virginia to show off her fabulous treasures!

Related Posts with Thumbnails