Thursday, January 30, 2014

Winter Storm on the Alabama Gulf Coast

Hello y'all, all is well here at Coastal Charm. We have not left our home since Monday night and yes, I'm about to go crazy!! Thank goodness our weather forecasters got this one right and everything on both sides of the bay closed down in time. I feel so bad for some other forecasters that didn't get it right. Hey folks, we are all human and things like this happen. Two cities that got hit hard without much warning was, Birmingham and Atlanta. Since I have family and friends in both of these cities, I was very concerned about their well being. My nephew in Atlanta, spent four hours stranded at a restaurant, then decided to walk 3 miles to a friends house for the night. Thank goodness, he made it home today around 2:00 p.m. safe and sound. I have a cousin also in Atlanta, and after spending 5 1/2 hours (only going 20 miles), he had no choice but to spend the night in his car. He was hoping to get a hotel room, but their were none available in walking distance. He finally did make it home this morning. In Birmingham, we had friends stranded on the highways and running out of gas. I'm happy to report that they all finally made it home safe and sound, after walking for hours in the ice and snow. I'm sure that to some of you, this sounds silly, but ICE is nothing to mess with down here in the deep South. We can handle hurricanes, but we are not equipped to handle Winter storms. I have been busy painting furniture and later today, Mr.CC and I will tackle a major clean up in our home office...wish us some luck...we will need it. Our roads will not be safe for travel until Thursday afternoon, and I am praying that I can get out then. I sure hate to think that I might spend my birthday at home, that doesn't sound like fun to this old gal. Now, let's see what a ice/snow storm looks like here at Coastal Charm.
                                                       Blessings,
                                                         Linda

 
                         It's a tad bit cold and wet, to sit here today.
                                  So, let me show you around my nest.
                    We were hoping for snow, but most of this is ICE!!
                       My poor palms...I sure hope they can survive this ice.
                                        Icicles on my ivy.
                               Watch out for that ice on the patio.






                                        This is when I want a garage.

                                                  Very icy!
This pic was taken after our street was free of ice. 


 
Here is where Coastal Charm at the beach is located
(my beach condo). Yes folks, this is the beach highway
covered with ice, in Orange Beach, AL.
NOTE...this pic belongs to a friend of mine.

                               I have lived here all my life and have never
                               seen ice on our beaches. Hey, you have a
                               choice today, build a sand castle or make a
                                                    ICEMAN!!!

This sums it up...I do want to
wear my flip flops asap!
     Just think, when I go to my beach condo
   on Saturday, I might wear some, our
   temps will be in the 70's...yippee!!!
 
Let's Connect!!!

29 comments:

Amber ~ The French Pressed Home said...

Being our first winter in Alabama, we are loving it even though most of it is ice. There was no such thing as a snow day in Southern CA! I was reading an article online about the weather here in the South and the comments were making me mad! Most people think we just got a dusting of snow and we're wimps. Umm, I don't care where you live, ICE is completely different than puffy snow. Stay warm Southern friend! I think we get to 70 degrees on Sunday too. The fireplace will be happy. Haha!

Patty Rumaker said...

My son lives in Birmingham, he is safe and sound at his home, thankfully. I have many friends that live over the mountain in Birmingham and some of them had to stay in a motel, kids sleeping at school, and people literally walking 10 - 15 miles to get home. I lived there for a long time, but we never had anything liked they had yesterday and today. Feeling for all of them! I with you - bring me the beach and some warm weather. It is cold in Texas too!
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Gail said...

Hi Linda, I'm so glad that you, your family and friends are all safe from this winter weather craziness! Blessings, Gail

Donna Wilkes said...

We had ice for a couple of hours and then hours of snow to watch. Ended up with almost three inches here in South Carolina. Tonight and tomorrow will be iffy - the ice will refreeze the slush on the roads. I am ready for that warm weekend they are promising. (Quite stylish ice outfit!)

acorn hollow said...

I feel so bad for you in the south my brother is on the Mississippi coast and dealing with the same thing. He said they just don't have the equipment to deal with it.
stay safe
Cathy

One Shabby Old House said...

I remember an ice storm in Elizabeth City NC the first year that I moved there from Indiana. They were throwing salt by hand on the bridges. I laughed about it then. I don't think people really understand how ill prepared some states are for ice and snow. Maybe this will change now.

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Linda, I can relate with you - we live on the coast in South Caroliona and our beaches are also covered with ice and snow - so weird. The schools have been closed for 3 days and a lot of businesses have closed also - even the mall - government shut down - everything. Some of the ice melted today - there was no clearing because they don't have the equipment needed to clear it. We are also suppossed to be in the high 60's this weekend - back to normal... stay warm... Cathy

Unknown said...

Hi Linda Glad everyone is ok. I agree, you can't do much on ice except skate. Ive been driving a tractor trailer up here in new England for 30 yrs. and all our roads are pre-treated and then constantly treated until the storm has passed. It's one thing to drive in snow but ice is a no go.If we didn't pre-treat our roads then we would be in the predicament that you guys are in. We have 2 highway trucks that plow for the state and after many years the state of MASS has finally got it right.I bet a lot of those trucks down there may have gelled up their fuel due to the extreme cold.The trucks need anti-gel to run smooth in the cold. slow starts and long stops is what runs through my head when driving in the winter up here, it's the people in cars suvs pickups that scare me when i'm in the truck.Just think ,it will probably be 70 tomorrow and melt in an hour.Happy birthday

Debra@CommonGround said...

this is just a crazy winter, we're expecting snow again in a few days. What's killer here is the wind, makes it so much colder!! stay warm and have a great Birthday!!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

That last picture of all the ice on the beach is incredible, looks just like sand. We've been watching the news and all the stories about people being stranded on the highways for hours and hours. If the same thing happened here in our valley, we wouldn't know what to do either. Hope it thaws soon and everyone remains safe. Thanks for sharing Linda.

Bonnie said...

That picture of ice on the ramp down to the beach is incredible.

In a way, your pics show more snow than we got in Enterprise. I put a few on my blog. Ours is mostly ice and soo cold!

The horror stories of friends in Bham and Atlanta is awful.
We were prepared and forewarned and they did get it right.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Looks like you got a little bit more ice than we did over the bay here in Fairhope. Our streets are all frozen solid, but my yard doesn't have quite as much "white" to it.

I'm locked up snug with teenagers who are eating everything in sight! I'll need to make a run to the Piggly Wiggly as soon as the roads are clear!

Take care and stay nice and warm!

Unknown said...

Hi Linda. As a Canadian, stuck up here in a very long deep freeze, even the best winter drivers with cars equipped with the best snow tires (yes we change our tires twice a year), cannot handle ice. We also get black ice which is pretty much invisible until you hit it. So dangerous! Stay safe and cozy! At least you know your ice will be gone before April :-)

Just Judy said...

This has been some winter for everyone. We got some sleet and a little snow flurries in Houston and it has been quite cold. Glad you are safe and you got plenty of DIY projects to keep you busy! Stay warm!
Judy

Lori said...

Stay warm. Our palms didn't make it. Hope yours do.

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Stay warm and safe Linda! Have a wonderful birthday.

Twinkle Terrior said...

Happy birthday!! We aren't far from you and I agree- let's get back to flip-flops weather! ox

Olive said...

We have three or more inches of snow. Our old house has more. We stayed home after my husband finally drove through it all on Tuesday night. We have had no issues compared to the folks who have been stranded though. The south is not prepared for snow/ice events. Glad all your folks are safe. Olive

nannykim said...

Same thing here in SC and I live near the coast! Myrtle Beach and the ice/snow too. My son has been out of school ever since the storm! He is doing student teaching. Normally it doesn't stay on the ground and roads as it has done because normally the sun comes out and melts it. To the west of us today in SC they had some sun...but we have not; so school is closed tomorrow too (Friday). But it is supposed to warm up and then things will thaw. My car is still covered. I agree/ we are used to hurricanes but not ice storms ;-)

thepaintedapron.com said...

I can't believe those photos of Orange Beach! A friend on Ono sent me pics of ice on the canal in front of his house! Birmingham was a nightmare, everyone has a story, we are finally getting back to normal but schools are closed til Monday. I hope you don't lose any of you foliage. All my small palms at our beach house died last week and I'm afraid the big ones are going to now :( Happy Birthday, I hope you get to go out!
Jenna

Kelly said...

It was fun to see what ice looks like on the beach! I've never seen that before. Lucky you to get temps in the 70's this weekend. We will warm up in the 60's ourselves. I'm very happy about it too.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Linda,
I know you guys down south are not use to this kind of weather. We are having the worse weather in the midwest too. More snow and cold for us this week end. It seems like it will never end. Ohhhh to feel 70's again. Enjoy.
Kris

Vintage Home said...

oh my goodness...that does look icy! Glad all your loved ones made it home safe!
Sorry you experienced that storm..and we, for a change, had lovely sun....yes we where enjoying a "west coast heat wave"!
Take care and happiest of birthdays!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Don't let anyone fool you, NO one is able to negotiate ICE Linda!! It's the worst of winter weather. But on the bright side you look fabulous with a glistening icy background! The country has been blasted with winter this year. Stay warm, stay safe and enjoy your creative time.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDA!!

Blessings, Edie Marie

Unknown said...

You know | never knew it snow in the south - never!
I'm in Montreal - so very used to snow :)
When I read that you hoped your poor palms would survive - I thought " just put mittens on " LMHO - didn't realize you were talking about your plants..........too funny -
Stay warm - have a very happy birthday at home!
XOX

Ron said...

Ice on the beach is a strange sight. WOW! We too had lots of ice here in NOLA.

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Sunshine to you from the coast of India. Really..ouch!

Babs said...

I don't think I've ever seen ice and snow at the beach, either. Gosh, hope your plants made it ok. Hasn't this been a crazy winter?

Donna said...

Love seeing the beach with snow and ice! This has been a crazy winter and I will be so glad when Spring arrives. Thanks for sharing the pics!
Hugs,
Donna

Related Posts with Thumbnails