The Grand Hotel represents a long resort tradition on this site. A modest hotel was here as early as 1820. By 1847 the first Grand Hotel was constructed and soon became famous for it's warm hospitality and good cheer. During the Civil War the hotel served as a Confederate hospital for the Southern wounded and 300 of these soldiers were laid to rest in the Confederate Cemetery on these grounds. While serving as a hospital the hotel was lightly shelled by Union gunboats. After the war the hotel burned and was rebuilt in 1875. Disaster soon struck again, when the steamer Ocean Wave exploded at the hotel pier with great loss of life. By 1941 the hotel had deteriorated badly as was replaced by the present structure. During World War II the hotel served as a training base for the United States Army Air Force for amphibious landings.
Y'all come back...ya hear,
Linking up here...