Saturday, March 15, 2014

Shop Talk with Pink Postcard

  I wanted to do a regular series on my blog, something unique that hasn't been done before. I came up with an idea to feature small shops, that are located throughout the country. So, every Friday you can stop by and check out a new shop, and at the same time meet the owner. This week it gives me great pleasure to introduce you to Denise from PINK POSTCARD! After you finish shopping, you can click here to visit Denise's blog.


Hi everybody!

Thank you so much Linda, for starting this fun series!!
I always love seeing what other shop owners and vintage decor vendors are selling, and how they like to display their goods.
It's so fun to be a part of this and I'm excited to share my shop with your readers!

I'm the owner of Pink Postcard vintage home decor, and I've been doing this for about 3 years now.


It all started out when I had the opportunity to participate in a holiday show.  
I didn't have enough items to host my own booth, so I was able to bring a few things that were part of a consignment area at the show.
Literally, I had one bin of items to sell!



I sold most of what I brought, and I was really happy.  
Over the next year, I would buy vintage items from thrift shops and garage sales, and borrowed most of the money from our family's monthly income.
I did the Deepwood Vintage Market about year later (in a booth!) and had a fabulous time.  
I learned a lot, and was really happy with my sales.


I did one more show that year- the same holiday show from the previous year, but this time in my own booth.
 I did really well, and through the course of networking, met Belinda, the owner of Aunt Bee's House.



I decided to see if I could have a regular selling spot in Aunt Bee's.  
I prayed a lot before I went in and said, if it's meant to be, there will be something available.
I was able to move in two weeks later.



Since moving in to Aunt Bee's House, I have had 3 different spots.  
Currently, I am in a newly remodeled portion of the store, that is near the front entrance.
What I love most about being here, is that it is just a great place to be!
The vendors and staff are all so nice and very supportive.
There's always events going on in the shop. 
 We have quarterly events that focus on a theme- with special treats and take away crafts.

The Farmhouse Show is put on by Aunt Bee's and is a seasonal show.

Farmhouse October 2013

The next one is May 1 - 3 and focuses on garden and outdoor decor.
It's been a fun show to be a part of, and I'm already hoarding stuff away for it!
Rusty, chippy goodness!

We also have an annual parking lot sale twice during the summer.  
It's very informal and really good deals!
(kind of like a vintage dealer's garage sale)
;)

This past July, I had the opportunity to move into a second location, Bella Hill.


It is located in the historic Mission Mill here in Salem.
It's the original site where wool was produced to make Pendleton blankets.


It's been a challenge to build up my inventory for a second location, but I've enjoyed the process of working in a new space.  
It has great creaky floors and lots of fun vintage and gift items.
I try to keep my 'look' but also keep things fresh and unique here.



It's been such a fun process to evolve my style, to learn how to stage items, maintain a booth and manage my business.  
There's definitely a roller coaster aspect to this business, but I'm learning how to ride it and enjoy the learning opportunities it brings.




Today, I have my own business income, and I don't have to borrow any money from the check book to keep things going!  
I love finding pieces that I think my customers will love.  
For me, it's kind of like Christmas shopping.  
Finding that perfect 'something' that someone else will love and cherish, and keep history going.

I'm setting new goals for myself and always looking for more creative ways to display.

Thank you so much for visiting me and my shop spaces!
And thanks again Linda, for this opportunity!

If you're ever in Oregon, swing through Salem and make a shopping day!
You won't be disappointed!

xo Denise
Pin It

20 comments:

Junkchiccottage said...

Love your story Denise. You have worked hard to get to where you are. Your spaces are great. I see a lot of treasures I would love to have. I wish I lived closer.
Good luck with your spaces.
Kris

Debra@CommonGround said...

Oh, I love Denise' style and wish I was close enough to shop!

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

I love Denise's style! I can't wait to stop by the shops when I'm in the area next time.

Pam

Aunt Bee's said...

That's our girl!

Love her

Aunt Bee House

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Denise has a great space and some great things on display. I always love to see her makeover projects.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I agree with Kris, wish I lived closer to shop your space! Your displays are staged with some great treasures!

Anonymous said...

It was nice visiting with Denise. I love her chalk board and that big bottle!

Gigi @ Old World Patina

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I always enjoy seeing pictures of your booth space. You have a real talent for displaying all your beautiful vintage treasures.

Blondie's Journal said...

Denise has a great story to tell...she worked very hard to get started and she is a success story!! Keep up the good, hard work, Denise!!

And thanks, Linda. This is a great series!

XO,
Jane

Artsy VaVa said...

I enjoyed this post so much! What a great idea for a series. Looking forward to more. Have a great weekend!

Joy Junktion said...

This is something I have wanted to do for years and years. I just haven't taken the first step of even asking about a space/shared space! You places are darling and I feel So proud of you for stepping out and 'doing' something new!! YaY YOU!!!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Denise has such a wonderful sense of style! Her success is well-deserved. Thanks so much for sharing her story!

Nancy's Notes said...

Denise, your space is just wonderful! I'd love to drop in and visit and shop! Think it would take a road trip and a long one! Congratulations on your success, you should be so proud!
Nancy

Noble Vintage said...

Thank you so much for all the sweet comments! It made my day / weekend. :) Looking forward to seeing some of the other shops featured here in the coming weeks!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Sure wish I could come to see your booths, they are just lovely!

Just Judy said...

Very nice Denise. I love how you decorated your bird cage. I enjoy your site too. Thanks for sharing!

BarbaraAnn said...

I love that you shared your journey with us. I to started collecting vintage & Re purpose furniture. I had a b&m store and loved it. Now I have an Etsy store now. I hope to start a blog soon and my own website. It's the struggle that makes the rewards worth it. Blessings to you

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

So much fun seeing Denise's shop! Thanks for sharing...
Blessings,
Cindy

Donna said...

Lovely shop and I would love to visit!
Thanks for sharing with us!
Hugs,
Donna

Melissa said...

I would love to visit your spaces!!! Such great product and styling! Loving all those paint by numbers I saw!!

Melissa @ Shabby Love

Related Posts with Thumbnails