Friday, June 6, 2014

Shop Talk with Refunk My Junk

I wanted to do a regular series on my blog, something unique that hasn't been done before. I came up with an idea to feature small shops, that are located throughout the country. So, every Friday you can stop by and check out a new shop, and at the same time meet the owner.
Today, we will meet Allison from REFUNK MY JUNK (gotta say...I love the name of here business...don't you?) This gal can refunk just about anything, so let's check her out and see what she can do.

Hi everyone! I am so honored Linda has asked me to share my business and blog with you today! I am Allison from Refunk My Junk in Oklahoma City, OK. I am a professional blogger as well as a paint retailer for CeCe Caldwell’s Paints and Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paints. I have 3 booths in 3 different retail stores in the OKC Metropolitan area.
vintage market days 9
Refunk My Junk started out as a hobby in 2010. At the time I was a Vice President at a corporate bank. I used blogging and furniture painting as a creative outlet as a new working mom. In 2012 my little hobby had gotten so out of control I made the decision to leave the corporate world and work on my business full-time. It’s been 2 years since I left banking and although I work so much harder now I love being creative and helping other’s find their creative voice that might not otherwise have been unleashed! You can find out more about my jump into the self-employment pond here.
shop talk 1
We rent space in three different stores.
The Feathered Nest in Oklahoma City
Showplace Market in Moore, OK
and Serendipity Market in Edmond, OK
Each store that we rent space in is a little bit different. One store has more new items and less vintage-inspired decor, another has nothing but chippy and rusty finds for customers, and the last store has a good mix of both. We specialize in hand painted furniture and finding unique home decor for our customers.

shop talk
We also participate in several shows each year and is an extremely important part of our business since I am not physically present to answer questions in the stores we rent space from. Its a great way to see our regular customers and meet some new ones as well. You will always find us at The Junk Hippy Roadshow and Vintage Market Days when they come to town!
shop talk 2
I love selling in a retail environment but I am most passionate about teaching others how to refunk their own junk on a budget. I love to see someone’s face light up with confidence after they have painted a piece of furniture for the first time. We have women and men drive from all over the country to attend our classes! It still floors me that someone would fly in to take my class – but I have to admit we have a lot of fun and they always say the trip is worth it. Anyone from a beginner to a professional faux finisher will learn something during our workshops.
129903386
You can find me on my blog posting daily about all things painted furniture, thrifting, creative small business owner chit-chat, and even a special series for vendors in multi-vendor markets and antique malls. I am also gearing up to launch a new ebook, The Lazy Gir'l’s Guide to Furniture Painting, in July! You can sign up so you can be one of the first to read it here.

coming soon 1
Thank you Linda for having me visit today! I would love for you to stop by and say howdy over on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram!

Don't forget about the GIVEAWAY that I have going on, just click here, to enter.

10 comments:

Art and Sand said...

What a fun new feature. Even though I can't visit all the great shops in person, it is fun to learn about them.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Not only does she have a creative eye - but what a businesswoman!

P said...

Love your idea of featuring other shops. Would love to win some milk paint. I have alot of furniture to paint for my booth at A Classy Flea.

Donna Wilkes said...

Allison is so vibrant and creative. Love her spirit. First time I have met her -thanks, Linda. I going to visit her for the helpful tips.

Artsy VaVa said...

Loved the tour!

Judy Pimperl said...

Thank you Linda for introducing me to a new "friend" in the funking business! I am really enjoying this series.
judypimperl.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love your blog and really enjoyed a peak inside Refunk Your Junk outlets!!

Junkchiccottage said...

Linda another great shop feature. Love her catchy name and that she reloves furniture with paint. Those shops look like awesome places to go. I wish I lived closer. Thanks for having Allison.
Kris

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

This is such a great idea -- and this is inspiring and encouraging to see someone take their passion and turn it into a business.

thepaintedapron.com said...

This girl looks like she has some great ideas! I did sign up for her soon to come how to paint furniture guide can't wait to see that!
Jenna

Related Posts with Thumbnails