Saturday, August 11, 2012

They Are Still Going Strong

I'm not really sure why, but my hydrangeas are still blooming, and it's almost mid August. I can't remember when this has ever happened, prior to this year. Could it be, because we have had so much rain this summer? Yes, we have a rain shower almost every day. It might be, just a 10 minute shower, but for the past 45 days, we get this wet stuff falling down on us. I sure wish we could pass it on to all the areas that need it so bad. Now, don't laugh, it just started raining, as I write this post, oh my!!! Rather than let them totally dry out on the bush, I cut them when they start changing color and drying out a bit. I put them in a small amount of water. I let them soak up that water, and then just let them dry in a vintage mason jar or vase. It may take a few weeks, so just hang in there, they will dry. This has worked really well for me in the past, and I hope this year is no different. If you hang them upside down to dry they lose their shape, but this way they dry perfectly! I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU, for all the sweet comments about my feature in the Condo Owner magazine, you gals, are the BEST!!!!! Hope you all, have a wonderful weekend.
                                       Blessings,
                                           Linda








                                     These are already dried.
                     

                                      So, very easy to do!!!


Pin It
Linking up to some parties...come join me!


Before you leave today, hop over and check out my
friend Pamela's new shop. You will love it...I sure do!
While you are there, enter her wonderful
GIVEAWAY!

26 comments:

Donna said...

Linda,
I adore hydrangeas and am drying some now too. Enjoy your weekend.
Hugs,
Donna

Blondie's Journal said...

How pretty! I always wondered how to dry them. My methods never worked. Now I have to find some...they were at our market in the spring so I doubt I will have any luck. Enjoy yours and try to stay dry!!

XO,
Jane

Ron said...

Linda- Hydrangeas are one of my most favorite flowers. Happy Friday. xo

Unknown said...

Those are gorgeous! We've had a lot more rain this summer in South Texas than we did last summer. Hallelujah! I actually have some grass and blooming flowers...but not nearly as pretty as yours! Happy Summer Ya'll From Houston!

Brenda said...

Thanks for the great tip!! I need to pick some soon - I will be using your method.

Brenda
cottage4c.com

Pam Kessler said...

I would dry my hydrangea again this year, but I have had such a piddly crop of them. Three bushes and I have had maybe ten flowers all together. I'll just admire yours for now.

Pam Kessler said...

I would dry my hydrangea again this year, but I have had such a piddly crop of them. Three bushes and I have had maybe ten flowers all together. I'll just admire yours for now.

Judi said...

Hi Linda
I just adore hydrangeas. Well it has been very dry here this year and mine have been doing nicely still as well...so I don't know why that is happening.
They are so nice dried aren't they. I have have one batch drying also and some still outdoors growing. Its raining today...for a change and I think I won't be able to dry them.

Have a wonderful day
Judi

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Thanks for info.I have tried hanging mine and they don't work.Mine are also going crazy I had so many on a lil bush.I love the color so I hope to preserve them a bit~Cheers Kim

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Linda, how lucky you are to have RAIN and beautiful hydrangeas, as well! Yours are just gorgeous! I love dried hydrangeas in fall arrangements. So pretty!

Low Tide High Style said...

Linda, congratulations on your wonderful magazine feature!!! And I love dried hydrangeas, I might have to try drying some this year. Please send that rain our way, we are dry as a bone! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Kat

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

These flowers are so pretty - fresh or dried. I used to dry flowers all year, and then stick them on my Christmas tree!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE hydrangeas! I had them in my wedding. Mine are winding down because we have had so little rain this summer I'm surprised they have survived!Have a great weekend! Traci

Shivam said...

hanks for the great tip!! I need to pick some soon - I will be using your method.
nice we can never forget.
Web design india

Unknown said...

I love hydrangeas as well and I have used the same method as you to dry them. It has worked really well for me. I have many in the garden right now that are still blooming beautifully. Have a great weekend!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Linda--Love your hydrangeas!
I have one bush, and a baby bush from that one (first year it bloomed)
I snipped mine a few days ago, LOTS of them, and have them in water to dry.
I had to water mine so much this summer, lucky you to have had rain! :)
I really need to move my BIG bush this year...it gets too much sun.

gail

Pat said...

Mine have been lovely this year, opening early and as long as I keep the bushes watered are still looking good.

Pamela said...

Beautiful blooms linda and thanx for sharing!!

Sherri said...

Linda, your hydrangeas are just phenomenal!! Just gorgeous!

Leslie said...

Cant believe they are still blooming. Gorgeous.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Linda your clippings look so pretty!! I love hydrangeas!

Pura Vida said...

so old fashioned and so pretty

prince snow farm said...

I am a hydrangea addict. You need to sell some of that rain this summer! Pretty blog :)

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Love Hydrangeas. Yours are so pretty, and need to start drying some of mine! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – it helped make the party a success!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love hydrangeas, but they just won't grow here...not in my yard anyway. Thanks for the great tip Linda, I have to buy them at the nursery, so this will come in handy.

Comeca Jones said...

Hydrangea are my favorite your pics are beautiful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails