Saturday, April 30, 2011

We Are Okay Here At Coastal Charm

I have received several comments and e-mails asking if my family is okay here in Alabama...yes...we are fine and thank you so much for thinking about us. I live on the Alabama coast and we had some bad weather, but we were never under a tornado warning..thank goodness. I knew that some really bad weather was coming to parts of my state, but I really didn't ever think it would be this bad. Strange thing is...all these tornado's hit in several cities, where I have family and friends, and they were in three different states. First hit was Preston, Mississippi (very rural area) where my parents are from, and where I have a uncle and aunt still living there...thank goodness they made it okay. Next it went on to Tuscaloosa, Alabama...where I have family and friends. My best friend (this is my friend that hosted Haley's shower at her home this month) has a 22 year old son that lives there (a jr.at UA) rode out the storm at a condo that only missed the storm by 400ft...this young guy was really scared and is still very upset about what all happened around him on Wednesday afternoon. He came home on Thursday, so he could get all his windows in his car replaced...yes...they were all blown out. Last year, he shared a house with another one of our friends son and that house is GONE...we are all so thankful, that they moved out of it last summer. Then another city hit was Birmingham, Alabama...we also have family and friends there too...they are all safe. It still wasn't over...the storms went on into Georgia and hit Ringgold...there I have a niece and her family (you might remember my mom and I visited them back in Feb.)...they stayed in their basement during the storm and are all safe. As I'm thinking back on this time, it's just so hard to believe that all of this happened in cities and towns where I have loved ones...thank you LORD for keeping them all safe. Please keep all the families that are hurting today in your prayers...prayer is so very powerful!
                                                         Blessings,
                                                           Linda
                                              These are the condos where
                                                  he rode out the storm.
                                      Just look how close he was.
                                 This was what he saw from the condo after
                                                    it was all over!
                                             Still can see the condos.
                                           Look at these young people,
                                          some living away from home
                                                    for the first time!
                                          
                                 Now this pic really got to me since I have
                                 a 21 year old daughter off at college...this
                                               could have been her.
                              HUG your kids and tell your family members
                                          how much you LOVE them,
                                         because you just never know!

35 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am so glad you friends and family are OK. My friends in Birmingham are OK also. This storm was so close to me, but we were so lucky it missed us. Praying for those who were hit.

Connie the crafterbug said...

Thank you for sharing this. I am glad to hear that your family is alright. I will keep everyone in my prayers.
Connie

Kelly said...

Goodness gracious, so horrible. I'm awfully glad you and your family are safe.

Ruffles n Raspberries said...

I'm saddened for all the families who have loved ones gone, and for the others that have lost everything. I couldn't even begin to imagine the grief they are going through.

My brother has a house in NC. The 4th house down from his is completley gone! He's only missing a couple of shingles.

Glad to hear you are safe. And, wow! Look how close it came to the condos!

Donnie said...

We had the towns sirens go off for the first time ever and were under Tornado warning. It was more scary because we live in a mobile home here in western NC. I'm glad all of yours were safe. We had no damage in our area but my heart goes out to all those affected by the devastation.

Shellbelle said...

Thank you for letting us know you and your family are safe. I've been waiting for an update from Rhonda @ Blue Creek, I hope she is safe as well.

My heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones.

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

I am glad all of your family and friends are ok. Prayer is really needed right now for all of the ones who lost their loved ones and homes. This has been a very scary and stressful week, and we will be checking into getting a storm shelter!

Anonymous said...

Hi, just found you over at Creekside Creations.

You must be so relieved that all of your friends and family are safe. These pictures are amazing; quite a scary thing for young folks away on their own for the first time. AND for their parents!

We have friends in Madison, Alabama, and finally heard last night that they're safe.

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

So glad everyone you know is safe. Such a tragedy. I don't think I have seen anything as bad since Katrina.We were scared to death almost,but made it safely.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

I've been thinking about you all week Linda. So glad to hear you and your family and friends are safe. This was so tragic. Will definitely be praying for all the people who were touched by this devastation.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Linda, those pictures are something else. What devastation. So glad you and your family and friends were all spared. So much devastation.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that you, your family, and your friends have all made it through safely. I am sorry to hear how your best friends son is feeling - it is so so important to teach these kids to get out of dodge when evacuations start. Too many at that age think they are invincible. I hope he is feeling better soon and has a chance to settle in once the shock wears off. Those pictures are extremely hard to see and I can only imagine what it was like for him to be there. Good luck to him and the rest of your family and friends through this spring weather season.

Unknown said...

I'm am so happy that you are OK, Many prays are coming your way...

Pattie

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Oh my gosh those pictures are just hard to even imagine ~
I am glad that your family and friends are safe ~

Samantha said...

Oh my goodness...those photos.
Glad you and yours are safe.
And yes, let your loved ones know how much they matter. Never hang up or walk away without "I love you".

Susan said...

Linda, I'm so glad to hear that all of your family are safe.
I live in Auburn and the death, destruction and devastation missed us by about 20 miles. We are so blessed, but those around us in our beautiful state of Alabama are hurting. I have friends and family in Northport, Birmingham and N. GA. and Praise God they were all spared any damage. My husband was on a fishing trip in Guntersville and they were hit, but left between storms, thank the Lord, because Guntersville was hit very badly, too.
We are asking all blog readers for continued prayers and please find a donation location near you and make a donation of supplies, water, blood or money to the American Red Cross or your local Baptist church to help with relief.
Hugs,
Susan

AntiqueChase said...

Glad you are safe and praying for all those affected

Lori said...

Glad you were South of it. You don't have tornardo warnings, but I guess Hurricanes give you a little bit more time to prepare. Those kids have to be freaked. A girl from Texas was one of the three killed at the University.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

So glad you and your family are all okay. Praying for those affected by these tornadoes.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear that you and your family are all okay. Along, with your best friends son. I can't get over all the destruction. My heart and prayers go out to all those that lost their lives and homes. Pray the communities will come together through all of this.
Blessings and hugs,
~Michelle

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that you are OK. The photos are amazing...such devastation. My heart goes out to everyone who has lost their home, or worse, a loved one. Thanks for sharing this...we all need to do what we can to help, even those of us who are far away.
Hugs,
Cheryl

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Brought tears to my eyes. Glad you are OK. Can't imagine how scary it must have been.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Very powerful images. Prayers for all those touched this destruction.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Linda I am so glad that you and your family are all OK and safe!! Those pictures brought tears to my eyes. I am praying for all those that where affected by this disaster! Martina

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! how terrible. i am so sorry for the devastation you are all experiencing. i am happy though that you and your loved ones are ok. kills me to see those young college students displaced like that. who scary for them and their families. will keep everyone affected by this in my prayers! blessings...

Melissa Miller said...

Linda oh my goodness! How scary! I cannot belive how close he was to those condos. Thank you to God for your family and friends safety. I am still in shock and feeling terrible over the loss of life. My sister also lives in Birmingham. They are okay.

You're right. You never know what may happen in this life. Sigh. Family is everything.

Warmly, ~Melissa

Unknown said...

Linda, I have cried so much over the storms...I am glad that your sister is okay. We live 39 miles southeast of B'ham and had no damage in our little town, but there is SO MUCH DEVASTATION! My husband is a State Farm Insurance Agent & he is out on Storm Duty now...I have added a prayer to my blog...the pictures are horrible! But reality is even worse (my hubby says)...BLessings, Tiffany

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Glad you and your family are safe.. what a tragic event.. so much devistation and loss. I will pray for them.

Blue Creek Home said...

Linda,
I have chill bumps reading this. I cannot imagine how scared these students were. Thank goodness your friends son is safe. That was just too close. His mom and dad had to be terrified.
Our last contact with Caroline was from the basement - Alex texted her and said she wanted her to raise Mason if anything happened to us. Then we lost phones, internet, not one cell phone got service. When she heard the weatherman saying that a tornado was over Still Waters, she totally lost it. She called and called, but couldn't get through. It took us an hour to finally get through to her when one of the cell phones got a weak signal. She truly thought we were dead. She just kept saying 'I love ya'll so much...I never want to feel those feelings again"! I am tearing up thinking about it.
How thankful I am that our girls didn't have to experience what the kids at Alabama did.
We truly have so much to be thankful for that so many of our friends and loved ones were spared.
Rhonda

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Glad you and your loved ones are OK. I so worried about all of my blogger friends and so far it appears all are safe! We are having some crazy weather!

Carol

Renee {Shabby, Chic and Charming} said...

So glad to hear you're safe, I had thought of you when I heard about the terrible storms.

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you and loved ones are safe. A tragedy like this makes each of us think about what is most important in life.
No matter one's age, this was an experience that will last a lifetime.

Victoria said...

Oh my gosh, how scary for all those young people! I'm so glad your friends son is ok! I can't imagine going through that, how terrible. Prayers for everyone!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Linda, did you see where one of the tornadoes went through the northwestern part of Stillwaters, just 3/4 of a mile from our cabin? The devastation around Lake Martin is horrible, too.

michelle said...

I am so happy that everyone was ok. I just couldn't believe the damage and the size of the storms. Not sure what is going on around here weather wise but it is crazy and scary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails