Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Grand Hotel...Part 1

Let's take a look today at a true SOUTHERN hotel located on the bay in Point Clear...it's THE GRAND HOTEL. This hotel is dated back to 1820 and is full of history...it is nestled on 550 secluded acres...it was purchased by Marriott a few years ago, so if you have some Marriott award points, then you just might want to check it out. My daughter Mary Claire was having fun playing around with my new camera during the holidays and here are some pics that she captured...lots of beautiful old oaks draped in spanish moss. This is PART 1...PART 2 will show pics of the hotel and some stunning water views and sunsets...so be sure to come back for more. Below is a little info on the history of the hotel (taken from Waymarking.com)...
The Grand Hotel represents a long resort tradition on this site. A modest hotel was here as early as 1820. By 1847 the first Grand Hotel was constructed and soon became famous for it's warm hospitality and good cheer. During the Civil War the hotel served as a Confederate hospital for the Southern wounded and 300 of these soldiers were laid to rest in the Confederate Cemetery on these grounds. While serving as a hospital the hotel was lightly shelled by Union gunboats. After the war the hotel burned and was rebuilt in 1875. Disaster soon struck again, when the steamer Ocean Wave exploded at the hotel pier with great loss of life. By 1941 the hotel had deteriorated badly as was replaced by the present structure. During World War II the hotel served as a training base for the United States Army Air Force for amphibious landings.
                                                               Y'all come back...ya hear,
                                                                              Linda
















Linking up here...

26 comments:

Sanctuary Home said...

Beautiful grounds!!!
Susan : )
http://sanctuaryhomebysusancooke.blogspot.com/

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Lovely ... your pictures made me sigh.

S
xo

Sherri said...

What lovely photos!! I love Spanish Moss when it sways in the breeze-just beautiful!

La said...

I love all the Spanish Moss. All the pretty flowers make me smile. :o)

Sherry Hicks said...

Beautiful, your photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Sherry

Donnie said...

If that's the outside I can't imagine what the inside looks like. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Donnie! Ooo and aahhh! Beautiful photos! Adding this to the vacation destination list.

I hear and I'll be back :)
xo,
Michelle

laxsupermom said...

Beautiful pics! That spanish moss is so lovely, it reminds me of when we drive down to GA to visit my parents. Love that herringboned brick pathway! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oh, how beautiful! There is something about old hotels...you can almost feel the ghosts when you walk through the grounds. Reminds me of one of my favorite movies..."Somewhere in Time". Thanks for sharing!
Cheryl at My Sister's Cottage

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Gorgeous! I love old hotels. Can't wait to see the rest!

michelle said...

Absolutely gorgeous pictures! The grounds of the hotel are amazing, I can't wait to see the actual hotel!

Sue said...

We stay at Marriott properties often and we have talked about this one, but never gone there. These are really gorgeous photos, I can't wait to see part 2.

Ricki Treleaven said...

I love The Grand Hotel. They have the best pecan pie in the world there! We head on down to LA about once every five years to The Grand!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your daughter is a good photographer. I love all the photos and the tour of the grounds.

hugs
Sissie

Pam Kessler said...

Thank you for those beautiful photos. The Spanish Moss in the south always mesmerizes me when I visit. It's such a unique thing.

jamfiescreations1 said...

Beautiful pics, just beautiful. Following from Fabulous Friday.

Honey at 2805 said...

Oh Linda, your photos are absolutely gorgeous!!

Simple Daisy said...

How beautiful!! Wish I were there:)

Mamaw's Place said...

I'm a new follower. I'm linking from Jeremiah29-11. I am so glad I came by. I need a beach trip sooo bad and these photos really put me in the mood. I love your site and will be back. Please follow me at www.mamawsplace4.blogspot.com.

Patsy said...

I stayed there for a week many years ago, and it is a wonderful place. Looks more beautiful now than it did then. Have a blessed day!

WheelchairDecor said...

Love the Spanish moss hanging from the trees. we don't have anything like that here, but my mom grew up in the south and my aunt would collect it and send it to me!

I am following, hope you can stop by for a visit!

Thanks, Becky Jane
Raising kids can be a lot like weeding the rose bed...well worth it, but...OUCH!
http://myelevenreasons.blogspot.com/
http://wheelchairdecor.blogspot.com/

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

How beautiful! Can't wait to see the hotel.
Hugs,
Penny

Kaybe said...

Good Lawd - I'm loving that moss!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Your photos are beautiful. It has been a while since I've been to visit the grand ole lady :-)

Breathing In Grace said...

What gorgeous pictures!!! Thank you so much for linking up to my little "Fantastic Friday" party. HOPE you have a great weekend!

High Street Cottage said...

What a wonderful place, Linda, so serene. I love the ducks in the pond, and the beautiful walking trail. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, xoxo tami

Related Posts with Thumbnails