Wednesday, June 30, 2010

PLEASE HELP!

Hello everyone...hope all of you are having a good day...I wish I could say that I was having a great day, but I'm not. I live here on the ALABAMA gulf coast and this oil spill has really been hitting us hard and I need your help. I don't ask for help very often...only when I am desperate and I'm very desperate for HELP here on our beautiful Alabama beaches. I have received an e-mail from my old neighborhood with info about how we can call the WHITE HOUSE and ask them to PLEASE give approval for this HUGE SKIMMER to work on the oil spill...so if you have just a few minutes...PLEASE give them a call.

Just last week we lost one more person due to this oil spill...a boat captain here in Orange Beach took his own life over this mess and it hit home with us because we knew him...his name is Allen Kruse. I told Mr.CC back in early May that I thought that this would happen, but I never thought it would happen to someone that I know. Allen has a twin brother Frank...Mr.CC and Frank have been friends for about 30 years...please remember this family in your prayers. Let's all try and do something about this disaster so we don't have this happen to another gulf coast family.
Here is the info that I received...please pass this on to everyone you know and ask them to help us too. I would like to THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

Blessings,
Linda

We need your help!! The Administration has yet to waive the requirements of
the Jones Act which would permit vessels of foreign registry with foreign
crews to assist us in skimming oil from the Gulf of Mexico. Several
countries have offered assistance in this regard but are reluctant to
proceed due to the provisions of the Jones Act. The president has the power
to waive the Jones Act; the last time this was done was after Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita. The most recent offer is from a Taiwanese vessel which is
touted as the largest oil skimming vessel and can ingest up to 500,000
barrels of oil-contaminated water a day. It set sail last Friday from
Norfolk on its way to the Gulf of Mexico where it hopes to assist in the
oil-clean-up effort.

We believe vessels of this nature and other foreign vessels like it should
be permitted to participate in this massive clean-up effort. We believe we
can use all the help we can get! If you agree we would appreciate you
calling the White House Comment line at (202) 456-1111 and the White House
Main Switchboard at (202) 454-1414 and let them know how you feel about the
situation. Ask the president to waive the Jones Act for the duration of
this crisis.

Please feel free to forward this email to your friends, relatives or anyone
else you feel could help us with this endeavor.

Thank you!

Ono Island POA
28491 Ono Blvd.
Orange Beach, Al. 36561



I'm linking to these parties...hop on over and check them out!
Strut Your Stuff Thursday
Hookin' Up with HoH
Feature Yourself Friday

27 comments:

Denise said...

I am a Floridian and would be glad to help. I see that it's ok to email, but can we post in our own blogs, FB, etc??

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

My thoughts and prayers are ith you and your family and all others affected by this tragedy!

I am stunned daily by the lack of action by this administration...they seem to be oblivious to the realities of this situation!

I will definitely do what I can to help! I am so sorry about this man you knew. I will pray for his family as well!

God bless!
Cathy

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Ditto to everything Cathy just wrote. Why aren't they doing anything! It's just unbelievable. Thinking of you and all those on the coast.

Becca's Dirt said...

I am glad that you have written this post. I have wanted to but things are changing so quick and just couldn't bring myself to update my blog on the gulf coast oil. It was so sad to hear about the "Rookie". Wish that he could have seen beyond this disaster that we will recover from this like we have other disasters.

I have been angry about the tankers that have been offered by other countries and we have not accepted their offer. I didn't really know anything about the Jones Act. The administration should have cleared the way at the time of the disaster or at least 60 days ago. Here we are at what 65 days - I've lost count - and still nothing more is being done than there was 55-60 days ago. And the coast workers aren't doing such a good job cleaning. I saw the news last night where the news crew dug into the sand and there were layers upon layers that had not been cleaned. I could just go on and on just as I'm sure you can too.

Did you get tickets to Jimmy Buffet? I didn't.

Debbiedoos said...

I just copied and pasted this message and will forward it to my contacts....thanks Linda for more awareness on this problem. I wish you your family and many others my thoughts and prayers.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Will do. I feel so bad for all the people suffering from this darned oil debacle. My oldest daughter and her family are headed to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks. They canceled their trip to Florida due to this mess. I let her know that that was hurting the business there, people canceling like that. But she has young children, so what can I say?
Brenda

Donna said...

Linda,
I heard on the news about the captain taking his life and it is so sad! My heart goes out to his family and friends.
I agree with you more needs to be done for the gulf coast!
The picture of your family is beautiful!
Hugs,
Donna

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Our very dear friend took his own life last August. It devastated us! He was a pastor, husband, father of three. Suicide is NOT the answer. The answer is: People helping others. Speaking up. Doing our part to help a brother out of hopelessness. Making phone calls. We'll certainly do what we can, friend! You're ALL in our prayers!

Denise said...

Linda,
Just wanted to let you know I linked this up on my FB and it is posted and linked on my blog!

afistfullofweeds* said...

I can't make myself go to the Gulf...I'am scared of what I will see. It makes me sick... I live a short distance...but, I still can't go. :(

Becca's Dirt said...

I posted a link to your blog in my post today.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Linda: I can't tell you how many times you have crossed my mind over the last weeks! I have called both of the numbers and begged for the President to lift the Jones Act and get all the help possible into the Gulf! We have friends who have a place on Ono Island too, Jennie and Homer Spencer and she is just heartbroken as well!! I will call over and over and please know that my heartfelt prayers are with you and yours. I had heard about the captain who I learn now, was a friend of yours...broke my heart! There are so many hearts hurting....our beautiful beautiful Gulf....

Keeping you close!

Lou Cinda

Kimberly said...

Linda, it is very painful to know what's going on, to know the beaches I literally spent every summer of my life on are going to suffer so.

You might also include a note about contacting your congressman/woman. The White House can't necessarily "waive" the act. It would have to be approved by the Congress too.

That skimmer will be great once it gets up and running. Just have to pray for calm waters once the hurricane passes.

Low Tide High Style said...

Linda, this is just horrible, the oil, people taking their own lives, the wildlife, our beaches! I will definitely pass the word along and make that phone call. If every one of us take just a moment out of our day to do so we can make a difference!

Kat

Blue Creek Home said...

This is just all so heart breaking. Count on me to help.
I am praying for you guys.

Rhonda

The Polka Dot Closet said...

You have my call, I live in Orlando and the economic fall out is going to be unbelievable, much less the loss of lives. I heard that there was equipment offered by foreign countries and things that could be done! I am just furious that this goes on and on. There should be a flotilla of support off your coast...I am not very happy with this administration. Thank you for giving me an outlet to do something about it!!!

Carol

Unknown said...

I'm definitely making a call. I'm so sorry!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Linda, I have linked back to you from my blog, I hope that is okay! This feels like a rerun of how Louisiana was treated during Katrina! So much more could be done by this administration!

Lou Cinda

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Linda, We have a home in the Florida Panhandle which was our primary residence until a year ago. It is now a rental. The oil spill has kept the tourist away and the economy of these beach towns will be hurt by this for a very long time. Sorry to hear about your friend and I will make the call.
xo, Sherry

Grannys Attic said...

I will do all I can to help too! So sorry for everyone involved in this big mess. Praying for you and your frinds family and everyone affected.
Blessings, Vicky

Beach House Living said...

I've heard several countries have offered assistance but the Jones act is not been put on hold. I don't understand why no request has come from the White House to Congress to stay the act.

trash talk said...

I came over from LouCinda's and wanted to tell you I'll be making calls. I live in Texas, but I love the Gulf shore. We've made several trips to y'alls area both before Katrina and after. It breaks my heart to read and hear about this, but it also angers me at the same time.
Do you have a button with the numbers that I could perhaps add to my sidebar to get people to call?
Prayers are being said for all the states hit hard by this disaster.
Debbie

Tracy Wills said...

I'm a Floridian and don't live far from the gulf coast. The oil disaster that has occurred and continues to occur on a daily basis makes me so angry. Thanks for writing this post.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Linda, I read today that the skimmer is now in Louisiana and ready to start the clean-up. The hurricane has spread the oil even further.

Jenny said...

This brought me to tears. I am so sorry that man took his life over this. It's very upsetting. I will keep his family in my thoughts and prayers and everyone else in this situation.

I didn't know there was a number to call, I will for sure do so. I am so disgusted over our president's lack of concern over this. Why would he turn down help? It's sickening!

3creativechics said...

A call will be made!!!! I am from Oklahoma and we are all very sad and upset that the help needed is just not getting done. Our prayers go out to all of you.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

It's there, it's there! Isn't that great? It was there before I could even call the White House! What a President!!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails